Ross8478

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Half Century

I entered an organized century ride at the end of July. I began a 10 week training schedule on May 21st. Each week brings one long ride, my first long ride was 30 miles and they progressively get longer each week. So I worked my way up to a 47 mile ride today, I hit the road at about 12:45 anxious to get the ride started. I decided to take hwy C to hwy A and see were that took me. It's a good feeling to be on the road and not in a car. I've experienced things you just can't hear or see in a car going 60 mph. Racine county is very rural west of the interstate, with farm Fields and forests as far as the eye can see. On every long ride I've done so far I've seen several birds you can't find in the city, I've seen a couple of hawks or falcons or both; I wasn't close enough to tell. The amount of wild flowers is another thing you just don't see in the city limits. So after an unexpected detour (road construction) I found myself with a terrific view of Browns Lake near Burlington. I was feeling good after the planned 23.5 mile halfway point, so I decided to go another 1.5 miles to make it an even 50 miles for the day. I took a quick break to eat a Cliff Bar and drink water and then started to make my way back home. I could really see myself living out in the sticks, life seems to run at a different pace. I ended up finishing my 50 mile ride in just under 3 hours. At the halfway point in my training schedule, I'm feeling more and more confident after each long ride.

3 Comments:

  • You rock! I really admire that you are so dedicated to this.

    By Blogger Nikki, at 10:32 AM  

  • Enjoy the bike rides. I can see your points even though I see them from the seat of my H.D.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 PM  

  • I put over 200 miles on my bike today and put in 3/4ths of a 2 room floor for T&M.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home